Monday, July 20, 2015

Occupation forces

I’ll admit it might be a stretch, but I feel like an inhabitant of a country that has been occupied by a foreign force.  Last week the UGI-PennEast pipeline consortium had six survey crews in our area.  An immense piece of equipment was in the woods on the trail west of the Wild Creek Falls in Beltzville State Park taking core samples, and other crews were in other parts of the Towamensing Township.

Last week a pickup was parked on Sei Park Road.in the area.  The crews are usually very close-mouthed, but I asked the driver, “Are you guys with PennDot or UGI?” and the he told me that they were with UGI, and that they had six crews in the area.  

None of these employees were from our area.  None of them know 90 -year-old Albertine Anthony, or have visited the Wild Creek Falls, or know about the history of local bank barns.  Not one of them know about sedges in the wetlands.  Probably none of them have seen a bog turtle.  

I’m sure some of them have nice families, and they are just doing their jobs, what the company tells them to do.  They probably believe that the work they are doing is benefiting the national interest.


So why do I feel powerless?  Why do I feel like an inhabitant of a country that has been occupied by a foreign army?

No comments:

Post a Comment