Saturday, July 18, 2015

Plastic bottles at Chickamauga

When we visited the Civil War battlefield at Chickamauga in Georgia this past May, I was pleased to see that the National Park Service was no longer selling plastic water bottles at that location.  A sign explained the effort to cut down on trash and pointed to a fountain where people could refill their containers.  

Now House Republicans, in the pocket of water bottling companies, have called such actions “intrusive government overreach” and recently passed an amendment to prevent any government money from being used to enforce the ban at any national parks.


By the way, a major way to help the environment is to quit buying water in plastic bottles in the first place.  Believe it or not, 50 years ago very few people carried canteens around, and I can’t remember anyone who felt the need for constant rehydration.

2 comments:

  1. I fill my own bottles with water from home. WE have always done this over my lifetime. Saves a ton of money as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that some our best environmentalists are Pennsylvania Dutch, because they hate to spend money.

    ReplyDelete