Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Moral codes and Kim Davis

I find the Lehighton Times News annoying for various reasons, but the biggest reason is the paper’s editorial writer Jim Zbick.  Yesterday he wrote that Cecil B. DeMille, the movie director, was right when he said the 10 commandments were THE LAW (Zbick’s emphasis).  

Zbick’s point was that we all needed a moral code like that of Kim Davis, the bigoted county clerk in Kentucky who refused to issue marriage licenses to gays.  Zbick is upset that a large number of people in America were not attending church and thus have no moral code.

Here’s my news for Jim Zbick.  You don’t need to attend church to have a moral code.  You don’t need to be a Christian to have a moral code.  And if you are a follower of the Ten Commandments, you can screw up your interpretation.  I went back and re-read them, and nowhere can I find an injunction that says, “County clerks shalt not issue marriage licenses to gay couples.”

Just to make sure, I checked out the New Testament.  I was expecting to read in the Sermon on the Mount, “Blessed are recalcitrant county clerks, for they shall uphold bigotry,” but I didn’t find that either.

I have my own moral code.  It’s a secular and tolerant moral code.  It beats the moral code of Kim Davis any day.


I fervently hope the Times News can find a better editorial writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment