Thursday, March 24, 2016

It's personal

In recent years my friends Janette and Anne, who live in Brussels, have donated money to the Carbon County Democratic Information Center so the Board of Directors could purchase Belgian beer.  Yuengling, now a non-union beer, just doesn’t cut it.

Yesterday I received an email from Janette telling me that Anne had been at that subway station just an hour before the blast.   Anne is a nurse, and many of the injured were treated at her hospital.

I do not think ISIS is an existential threat to the U.S.  It is a relatively small group of terrorists who cannot defeat the U.S.  For that matter, it can’t defeat the Kurds.  Nonetheless, it is like a cancer.  It kills innocent people, kills anyone who doesn’t agree with it, uses rape as a policy, and takes advantage of the openness of democracies to wreak destruction.  It mocks what the Muslim religion stands for, and it has no redeeming qualities.


My test for U.S. troops going to war has always been, would I be willing to go?  I’m 73, and I know I won’t be called up to fight, but if I were able, I would be willing to go.  I would like to see these assholes eliminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment