Friday, January 27, 2017

Tamaqua high school students


The Lehighton Times News every week runs a column called “It’s the Reader’s Turn,” in which reporters ask six readers a question.  Today’s question was asked of six juniors and seniors of the Tamaqua Area High School.  The question was:  “Now that Donald Trump is in office, are you more optimistic or pessimistic about our country’s future, and why?”

All six students had positive answers.  They thought he would get us out of debt.  They thought as a businessman he would bring a new perspective.  They mentioned he would bring a lot of changes.  One actually said “He’s going to make America great again.”

I’m not sure what they were referring to.  Bringing back torture.  Trade wars.  False news.  An increase in global warming.  Religious tests for refugees.  Gag orders on international aid groups.  

Linda said I should cut them some slack.  She said they were only echoing beliefs spouted by their parents.

I cut them no slack.  When I was in high school I read the paper.  I had my own opinions.  And when I was in high school, I couldn’t even vote until I was 21.  Assuming most of these students are abut 17 years old, they will be eligible to vote next year.


If our future rests with the younger generation, Oh My God.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think if there were negative comments about the Donald the Times News would have printed them? I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete