Monday, April 17, 2017

"If this shirt offends you..."

I need some advice.

I’ve been gong to West End Therapy in Kresgeville for rehab.  Today an old guy wearing a tee shirt with the Confederate battle flag was there.  The shirt said, “If this offends you, you need a history lesson.”

I ignored the guy completely, but I was thinking, suppose he talks to me.  People there are fairly friendly and often strike up conversations.  I thought of a number of rejoinders to his shirt, but I’m not sure which would be best.  I’d appreciate some feedback.

“I taught American History, bud, and I think it’s you who needs a history lesson.”

“Actually, your shirt does offend me.  It has been used as a symbol of racism ever since the Civil War.”

“We really don’t need to talk.  Your shirt tells me everything I need to know about you.”

“Let me guess.  You voted for Trump, hate Muslims, and own at least five or six guns.”


“Hey, I also have a Confederate flag shirt, but mine says White Trash.”

2 comments:

  1. #2 I would think, it's more to the point of his shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a 75 year-old black woman who exercises with us. I wonder what she must feel. I don't think I will say anything unless the guy tries to stoke up a conversation with me.

    ReplyDelete