Saturday, September 30, 2017

Respecting veterans

Many of the letters in our local newspapers are criticizing the NFL players for not “respecting our veterans.”  Is that why we play the national anthem?  To respect veterans?  When did that become the reason?

When I am at events where people say the “Pledge of Allegiance,” I never say the “under God” part.  I don’t believe in that whole god thing, and I refuse to say it.  That has nothing to do with respecting veterans, nor does sitting, taking a knee, or standing on one’s head when the national anthem is played.  

I really believe it is more important to respect the Constitution.  The 1st Amendment was written years before Francis Scott Key penned the his little ditty, which, by the way, is one of the least singable national anthems of all times.

I also don’t get the connection with money and standing for the national anthem.  Almost all the letters mention that the NFL players make a lot of money.  So what?  What does that have to do with the right to protest?


Finally, Donald Trump should never lecture anyone about patriotism.  That draft-dodging tax cheating clown should keep his mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment