Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Trump at the U.N.

I spent a month in the U.N.’s Secretariat Building as an unpaid intern in the summer of 1967.  I worked for Dr. Kenneth Dadzie of Ghana doing research and interviewing delegates for my Ph.D. thesis on the U.N.’s efforts to bring independence to European colonies.

I loved the U.N.  I loved what it stood for.  I was impressed with its peacekeeping missions, its efforts on behalf of women, its sheer idealism.

When people say the U.N. has no power, they are correct.  It cannot tax for revenue, it cannot draft soldiers, it cannot pass global legislation.  Nonetheless, it provides a forum for the countries of the world to meet, to discuss, and to negotiate.

Then comes the blowhard, talking about “Rocket Man,” talking about annihilation, talking trash about Iran, and generally behaving in ways we now expect him to behave--a boorish self-centered asshat.  It makes me cringe.


I’m sure “the base” loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment