Thursday, March 29, 2018

Five who have to go


I understand the need for Democrats to tilt toward the middle in conservative districts.  The PA 9th Congressional district, where I now live, is considered safe Republican.  In this district any Democrat who wants to win better be closer to Montana Senator John Tester than Senator Kamela Harris of California.

On the other hand, if the 9th does elect a Democrat, he or she should generally vote with the Democrats and support overall party goals.  

In New York five state senators, organizing themselves as “The Independent Democratic Conference,” consistently vote with the Republicans, giving that party control of the state Senate.  This isn’t being middle-of-the road, this is outright betrayal of the party and the voters.


Now Democrats in their districts are organizing to defeat them in the primary.  Scared by the growing movement, the five are now in talks to return to the fold.  If I voted in their districts, I would say it was too late.  I like at least some integrity in my elected officials.

No comments:

Post a Comment