Sunday, March 11, 2018

Mr. Geiger

My high school English teacher Mr. Geiger died three weeks ago.  He taught English at the Palmerton High School for 35 years and then served as library director for the Palmerton Library for more years.  I have been writing and reading poetry ever since I was a senior at Palmerton High, thanks to Mr. Geiger.  

I emailed my friend Ray Carazo about a week ago telling him about Geiger’s death.  In high school Ray was a star athlete in football, baseball, and especially basketball and, I thought, probably not a big fan of Mr. Geiger.  Ray wrote back that because of Mr. Geiger’s influence, he has enjoyed a lifetime of listening to classical music. 


That’s a pretty good legacy.  Two guys with little in common, but both inspired for a lifetime of enjoyment by one amazing teacher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment