Saturday, September 29, 2018

Afraid to register voters

Last week I visited four personal care homes to deliver registration forms and absentee ballot request forms.  I spoke to friendly and cooperative activity directors, managers, and social workers and explained how to fill out the forms.  I was there on behalf of the Lehighton Democratic Club, but I did not ask whether the residents were Republican, Democratic, or Independent.  We register anyone who wants to register.

On Friday I went with my friend Sue to the Palmerton, formerly the Village, on Princeton Avenue.  We signed up five people for absentee ballots.  I have no idea with what party those five are registered.

Last week I sat in front of Mallard Market in Lehighton to register voters.  I only registered one, but again, I register anyone who wants to register.  The manager of Mallard Market welcomed me and all of the customers were friendly and pleasant.

Now I discover that two stores in Palmerton on Delaware Avenue where we did non-partisan registrations in the past will no longer allow us to register voters on their property.  “It’s too political,” one said.  “We might alienate some of our customers.”  “We don’t want to be political.”


Registering American citizens to vote is too political? 

No comments:

Post a Comment