Friday, September 14, 2018

How nasty should I be?

The internet is a vicious place.  People say things in blogs, on Twitter, and on Facebook that they would never say to someone’s face.  I know people who have dropped out of various social media platforms because of the vicious comments.  When my friend Rene set up this blog for me, he advised me not to let anyone comment because of the vitriol I would endure.  

Now I have a question for my readers.  The Allentown Morning Call and the Times News occasionally run letters from people I consider to be idiots.  A recent letter praised Trump for his “style” and said it was part of his DNA.  Another letter from a Towamensing reader in the Times News attacked Sen. Casey in what I considered to be completely nonsensical way.

My question is:   Should I mention these people by name?  Should I go after their idiotic opinions and tell my readers who they are, or is that just adding to the ugliness that has become part of the American political discourse?


Some of you do not have Google accounts, and you can’t comment on the blog.  So I will give you my email address (I do have a delete option).  Send your opinions on what I ought to do to <hiramc@ptd.net>.  I really would appreciate some input on this.

3 comments:

  1. I stay away from political comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy -- Don't say a word. unless you can phrase it so you're recognizing or making fun of your own quirks and failings as a human being. Check Mark Twain on this. A lovable crank in entertaining, endearing. A nasty crank is just nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree. I've seen many letters to the editor that have referenced previous letters and you can disagree and be nice at the same time. For example: "John Smith stated in his letter of October 1 that he admired President Trump's style, stating it's in his DNA. I myself am not impressed by a leader who attacks people because of their ethnic heritage and denounces anyone who disagrees with him. Rudeness isn't something you're born with, it's learned and therefore can be unlearned. As President, he should not be using language that incites hate and sets Americans against each other." Well, something like that...it shows you're paying attention.

    ReplyDelete