Sunday, September 23, 2018

Jesus welcomes the children

The Big Creek UCC Call to Worship today included the following:

Pastor:  Then Jesus took a little child and put it among them; and taking the child in his arms, he said to them:

Congregation:  Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.  Ands whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.

Pastor:  We are still learning today what Jesus came to teach us two thousand years ago.  To change the world we must change the way we love and welcome all children!

Congregation:  May we learn to love all children as if they were our own!

I love the sentiments, but it isn’t enough.  

An editorial in today’s Times pointed out that juveniles who come seeking asylum are often put into “youth migrant shelters” (jails for kids.)  When they turn 18, they are sent to “adult detention,” usually a county jail.  These kids have not committed crimes.  It is not against the law to ask for asylum.  In 2017 roughly 1000 youths who turned 18 were transferred to jails.  

I will try to find out how to become a sponsor, but that may not help.  Health and Human Services is planning to add more capacity for detained children, including a tent city in Tornillo, Texas, that will grow from 400 beds to 3,800.  


And please, please, don’t give me that “What part of illegal don’t you understand” crap.  I have had it with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment