Sunday, October 6, 2019

World Communion Day

Today Linda’s church (Big Creek United Church of Christ) celebrated World Communion Day.  Pastor Robison preached a very short sermon.  He said he had intended to quote Gandhi about how you could judge a government by how it treated its weakest members, but his internet search turned up empty.  He did, however, find a quotation from Hubert Humphrey, who was Lyndon Johnson’s Vice President.  

I’m paraphrasing, but Humphrey said you could judge a government on how it treated the most vulnerable people–the young, the poor, and the sick.  Yesterday an article in the Times noted that our government is making further cuts in food stamps.  I couldn’t help thinking about Trump’s efforts to gut the ACA and the kids in cages.  


In 1968 I voted for Dick Gregory for President instead of Hubert Humphrey.  I stuck to my principles.  I was pure in heart.  And I was completely wrong, because people like me helped to put Richard Nixon into the White House.  I hope I won’t do something that stupid ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment