Monday, November 25, 2019

Cisgender and Latinx


‘Cis” is Latin for “on this side of” as opposed to “trans,” which means roughly “on the other side of.”  I was born male, I identify as male, so I am “cisgender.”  Is this really necessary?  It simply shows how “woke” we are, which is another word I really really hate.

Latinx is another one of those neologisms that I will never use.  Latin, like German, is a “gendered” language.  Latino and Latina are fine; I as an Anglo am not about to tell Spanish speakers how they should speak.  How do you even pronounce “Latinx”? 

And please, do not say “Ok boomer.”  I am 77, older than the “boomers.”  I am old enough to appreciate English (and Spanish, for that matter).  

While we concentrate on using the latest terminology, the earth heats up, children are put in cages, the Kurds are betrayed, the President commits treason, and people die every day for lack of gun safety legislation and adequate health care.  Focus, people, focus.



No comments:

Post a Comment