Monday, May 17, 2021

Election day in Penna.

 It’s tomorrow, although I already cast my ballot a week ago.  What a stupid election.  I have never understood why the Clerk of Courts and the Register of Wills are elected positions  Or why we have an elected tax collector.  Those should be civil service jobs that go to qualified people.  

In my school district (Palmerton Area) four people are running for the school board.  I’ve heard that they aren’t very bright, and two are husband and wife, which is a terrible idea.  I wrote in a friend and former teacher.

The judges are another story.  Pennsylvania has an amazingly complicated judicial system, and all of the judges are elected, not appointed.  How many voters know anything about judicial candidates?

We vote on four ballot questions, two of which are spite amendments put on the ballot by Republican legislators to strip the governor of emergency powers.  I’ve gotten four mailers, some of which talk about local control, which has nothing to do with the proposed amendments.  Republicans must really hate Governor Wolf to spend that kind of money to get back at him for doing his best on the Covid 19 pandemic.

There’s a proposed amendment guaranteeing equal protection of the laws regardless of race or creed, which is already covered at both the state and federal level.  I’m getting the impression that our legislators are not serious people.  

Finally, there is a complicated ballot issue involving fire fighters and loans.  I’ve heard it would benefit large fire companies at the expense of volunteer fire companies.  Is that a bad thing? 

And what is this guy Trump running for?  I am seeing his signs around, but no office is listed.  That’s pretty weird.  I wrote him in for Clerk of Courts.

No comments:

Post a Comment