Thursday, April 14, 2022

The dreaded Lyme disease

Last Saturday Linda and I walked down to the Wild Creek Falls, located in Beltzville State Park.  Wild Creek was running high, and the falls were spectacular.  We were the only people there.

I didn’t notice the red circle on my arm until Tuesday.  What I did notice were painful joints and the fever.  On Wednesday I saw my doctor.  She tested me for the flu (negative), examined the red circle, and prescribed antibiotics.  She said that tests for Lyme disease were often ambiguous, and that the protocol is to prescribe antibiotics immediately.  Basically since Wednesday morning I’ve been sleeping.  I think the antibiotics have already kicked in, since the fever is almost gone and my joints no longer hurt.

It never occurred to me to do a tick check after our hike.  I thought ticks came out in May and June and were more of a summer insect.  I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment