Monday, April 18, 2022

Where is Edith Wharton when we need her?

The novelist and short story writer Edith Wharton wrote about the nouveau riche of the “Gilded Age.”  These were often industrialists and financiers who gained wealth before they gained class.  They desired status, but were crude and ill-mannered.  They didn’t know which fork to use.  

Wharton could have analyzed to good effect many of our modern billionaires who made fortunes in the high tech industry or hedge funds or lucky gambles, but have no class whatsoever.  They are simply boors with lots of cash.  People like Jeff Bezos, Peter Thiel, Rebecca Mercer, and, of course, Elon Musk.  They strive, but they don’t know which fork to use.

Note:  I'm taking my computer into Double Click tomorrow.  Since a new program was installed (while I was asleep), I can't save any documents.  The computer tells me "You don't have permission."  I'm not kidding.  I'm hoping Double Click can fix this, but I don't know how long it will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment