Monday, November 27, 2023

Analyzing Republican Party history

Columbia University Press recently published The Republican Evolution:  From Governing Party to Antigovernment Party, 1860-2020 by Kenneth Janda.  There was a time in my life when I would read a review and pretend to have read the book, but I have grown more honest.  I have only read a review, not the book itself.


Janda examined each of the party’s platforms from 1856 to 2020.  From his analysis he sees the party passing through three eras:  “illustrious nationalism” from 1860 to 1924, a neoliberal era from 1928-1960, and an ethnocentric era beginning in 1964.  The last of the three, according to Janda, has favored white Christians over others and turned away from supporting the federal government.  


Janda now believes that the current Republican party is more akin to a cult.  He would like the party to return to its roots.  I personally don’t see that happening.

2 comments:

  1. https://www.amazon.com/Make-Men-Free-History-Republican-ebook/dp/B00L4FSSZY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=K05GX4NHLN1B&keywords=heather+cox+richardson&qid=1701187313&sprefix=Heather%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should give you a private call so I don't look so ignorant in public, but I have no idea what to do what all that. No idea. Keep in mind you are dealing with a guy who doesn't own a cell phone and has no credit cards.

    ReplyDelete