Saturday, August 29, 2026

Dolly Parton, A.I., and Lake America

A five-day road trip to Indianapolis in late August was just what I needed, but the earth continued to rotate and events continued to unfold. 


First, Dolly Parton died.  In 2019 the New York Times ran a story about one thing we all could agree on:  Everyone loved Dolly Parton.  One of the obits talked about an audience with rednecks in trucker hats with confederate flags interspersed with urban libs, and every body singing along with “I Will Always Love You.”  Cynical as I am, I can’t think of one bad thing about Dolly Parton.  Ok, maybe the “Coat of Many Colors.”


Second, Bill Gates warned that A.I. not only threatens jobs but also the future of humanity.  Bill Gates said this.  Is anyone listening?  Is there money to be made?  If yes then no one is listening.


Third, Trump has renamed Lake Ontario.  It is now Lake America.  I fear we will get this mixed up with the Gulf of America.  I also am bothered that one of the Great Lakes is Superior to Lake America.  Perhaps it could be named Lake Inferior.  Since we already have an American River in California, I don’t think Trump will rename any rivers, but the Great Dismal Swamp would definitely attract more tourists if it were called the Great American Swamp.  Perhaps I’ll write a letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment