Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hooray for Utah

Although the scenery is breathtaking, Utah has not my favorite state.  It's reliably Republican, full of conservative Mormans, and I was stopped once for weaving on I-80 while crossing the salt flats.  (I was reading the New York Times.)  Nevertheless, I have just signed on to the "Utah Compact," a statement on immigration that shows what reasonable people who actually want to solve a problem can do.

The first of the Compact's five principles says that "immigration is a federal policy issue between the U.S. government and other countries--not Utah and other countries."  If only my new congressman, Lou Barletta, knew this.  The first principle then asks for federal laws to protect borders.  OK, I can live with that.

I will not quote the entire compact (although it is short), but here is the fifth principle:  "Immigrants are integrated into communities across Utah.  We must adopt a humane approach to this reality, reflecting our unique culture, history and spirit of inclusion.  The way we treat immigrants will say more about us as a free society and less about our immigrant neighbors.  Utah should always be a place that welcomes people of goodwill."

If you want to read the entire compact, go to <utahcompact.com>.  By the way, the Church of the Latter Day Saints is not a signatory, but it has given its approval to the Compact.  Perhaps Arizona, which borders Utah, can take a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment