Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My five favorite Republicans

Sherwood Boehlert--Mr. Boehlert, a congressional representative from upstate New York, has been a strong voice for environmental protection.  I wish he’d switch parties.
Gifford Pinchot--He was elected governor of Pennsylvania in the middle of the Depression, which says something about his politics.  I know some environmentalists don’t like him because he emphasized the utility of conservation as opposed to protecting the environment for its own sake, but hey, by the standards of his time, he was one of the good guys.  (Plus he was married to a real feminist).
Teddy Roosevelt--On trust busting alone he deserves to be on the list. Bully.
William Ruckelshaus--I’d put him on the list for his integrity during the “Saturday Night Massacre,” but he was also the first EPA administrator, and in that position he set an excellent precedent.
Abraham Lincoln--I think the Democrats should hold a Lincoln Day dinner in Carbon County.  If Lincoln were alive today, he would be ashamed of the Republican Party.  He’s definitely one of us.
Unfortunately, four of the five are no longer alive. If you can think of living Republicans who deserve to be on the list, let me know. 
P.S.:
On a different subject entirely, “the wife” will be home from the hospital tomorrow morning.  I want to thank the readers who called or emailed to express their concern.

1 comment:

  1. I did not want to call you, but Marie and I hope that Linda is doing well and will be home soon.

    ReplyDelete