Sunday, June 12, 2011

Graffiti

Somebody painted “Obama Sucks” on a truck body used for advertising to the east of Route 248 just north of Bowmanstown.  I called the borough of Bowmanstown on Friday to complain, and the secretary referred me to the owner of the truck, Mr. Schleicher.  I then called Mr. Schleicher, who was very nice, although irritated that somebody had put graffiti on his truck.  This has evidently happened before.  He said that he would try to get some employees out to paint it over, but if I wanted to paint it out, he certainly had no objection.
Today I trudged up from the Bowmanstown Diner along the railroad tracks and painted over the graffiti.  
In the Seventies I worked in an auto parts warehouse in West Oakland.  Almost every surface in West Oakland was covered with graffiti except our warehouse.  We were sometimes hit, but when we came to work, our manager had us paint it over.  This might go on for two or three days, but if you are a tagger or graffiti “artist” and you know that by 8:15 the next morning your efforts will be gone, you quit.  Months would go by with the warehouse free of graffiti.  The way to eliminate graffiti is to paint it over as quickly as possible and as often as you need to. 

If “Obama sucks” appears again, let me know.  I have gallons of white paint.

1 comment: