Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My letter to Rep. Heffley

One of my readers said I should not only post messages about voter suppression, but I should also write to my representative.  Good point.  Here is the text of a letter I wrote to Representative Heffley:
Under the guise of “preventing fraud,” some state legislators are taking steps to discourage voting.  What those legislators should be doing is making it easier to vote.  In the primary in Carbon County in May, the average turnout was just about one-third of the registered voters.  That is a sad state of affairs.  
A number of steps could be taken to boost the turnout.  North Dakota, for example, has election day registration, and that state’s turnout is always impressive.  Oregon has mail-in ballots, and Oregon also has a high turnout.  Pennsylvania has one of the most restrictive polices for absentee ballots; that could be reformed.  
The last thing we need is a requirement that you must show a picture ID to vote.  Most of the voters in my precinct in Towamensing Township are known by sight by the poll workers, and there is no reason to require a picture ID unless it is an attempt to keep people from voting.  I hope that is not the case, and I hope you are a supporter of every citizen participating in the election process.
It goes out in the mail tomorrow.  I think it will turn the tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment