Saturday, June 18, 2011

Unbelievable hypocrisy

On June 14 I posted a letter I wrote to Pennsylvania state representative Doyle Heffley in which I pointed out that many state legislators were using “preventing fraud” as an excuse to pass bills to discourage voting.  The voters most affected by these bills were obviously more likely to be Democrats.
Rep. Heffley’s reply arrived today.  I’ll quote the entire letter:
Thank you for your recent letter where you voiced your objections to House Bill No. 934, which requires voters in the Commonwealth to provide identification at the polls.  I appreciate you taking the time to contact me about the subject.
I believe it is a very important piece of legislation.  Residents of Pennsylvania must have identification for driving, for purchasing insurance, and for many other day to day acts.  It is not my intention to inhibit voting or infringe on anyone’s right to vote, but to preserve the integrity of the voting process.  
With so many illegal immigrants entering Pennsylvania, I feel this is a step in preserving our tradition of legally casting our votes.
This is a dishonest letter.  First of all, there is no evidence of a problem of undocumented immigrants trying to vote in Pennsylvania.  Second, if you are in this country without papers, about the last thing you will do is register to vote.  Third, if you do vote illegally, penalties are already in place if you are caught.  
I can go for months without showing picture identification.  I don’t need it to buy insurance.  I don’t need it to drive to Kresgeville.  I don’t need it for “day-to-day acts.”  And I certainly haven’t needed it to vote; all the poll workers know who I am. 
When New Orleans was evacuated, the emergency response officials were surprised that many people did not have cars.  Guess who doesn’t have cars?  Poor people.  Guess who doesn’t have picture identification cards.  Poor people.  Guess who doesn’t have insurance.  Poor people.  Guess who votes Democratic.  Poor people.  
Let’s not confuse the issue.  House Bill 934 has one purpose and one purpose only.  It is to discourage Democratic voting.  What a bunch of hypocrites.

No comments:

Post a Comment