Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lobbying in Harrisburg

A group of five Carbon County residents drove to Harrisburg today to lobby our county’s legislators, urging them to impose a severance tax on the natural gas extracted from Marcellus Shale.  They met with Rep. Heffley and Senator Argall and a representative from Sen. Yudichak’s office.  
This does not mean that tomorrow a severance tax will be passed, but it is an example of what ordinary citizens can and should do.  You don’t have to be a professional or a campaign contributor to “lobby.”   Every time you send a state or federal representative a letter or an email or visit the office or make a phone call you are lobbying.  
I worked as a field representative for California state SenatorJerry Smith in the 1980s. Smith represented a portion of Santa Clara County.  I can guarantee you that either the Senator or a staff member read every piece of mail and answered every phone call.  That was before email, but I am certain legislative offices read email as well.
Here’s a few quick pointers.  
  • Know your subject.  The Carbon County lobbying group had done their homework on the effects of drilling in Pennsylvania.  
  • Be polite.  I believe all five of the lobbyists were liberal Democrats and environmentalists, but they were respectful when they spoke to Rep. Heffley.  
  • Lobby your own representatives.  You are much more effective when you are a constituent.
  • Don’t threaten to withhold your vote at the next election.  Threats don’t work with legislators anymore than with other people.
In case you are curious, I was not one of the five.  I stayed home to make rhubarb-strawberry jam.  I’ll be the first to admit that my priorities are totally screwed up, and I am sorry I was not in Harrisburg today where I belonged.

1 comment:

  1. Just a test. My brother is having problems trying to post comments.

    ReplyDelete