Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bella has a baby

My great niece (who really is great in both meanings) has prevailed upon Linda and me to see the midnight showings of all three “Twilight” films.  That is the series in which a teenage girl falls in love with both a vampire and a werewolf.  I think the odds are slim that she would fall in love with a boy from either of those categories.  What are chances on both at once?
These movies are a cultural phenomenon.  This last one raked in over 30 million dollars before dawn broke on Friday.  The Mahoning theater was filled with young girls and their mothers, and the film was playing in all theaters.  While I didn’t see every patron, I’m fairly sure I was the oldest person there.
I once taught a class in political films, and my definition of a political film was broad, including both “Selena” and “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.”  In the case of the films in the Twilight series, however, I can’t see any political implications whatsoever, although a picture ID requirement might be a problem if the wolf wants to vote.  Maybe he can request an absentee ballot.
I must confess that I never see the complete films. I fall asleep. In this last one I missed the wedding dress, the honeymoon, and most of the pregnancy.  
Here’s another thing.  When Lon Chaney, Jr., became a werewolf, his pants and shirt stayed on.  When Jacob becomes a wolf, what happens to his pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment