Friday, November 18, 2011

Savings Bonds

I’m reasonably sure the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Public Debt, needs money.  That is the agency that issues government savings bonds.  Today I picked up savings bond purchase forms from my bank in Kresgeville.  I give them to family members for Christmas presents.  It also makes me feel patriotic.
As of December 31 I can no longer do that.  The only way to purchase savings bonds after that date will be online.  This is one of those policy changes that is both thoughtless and counterproductive.  First of all, about one-third of Americans do not have internet access.  People who are connected assume that everyone else is, but millions are not.  Old people are among the demographic groups who lack internet access.  Who do you think buys savings bonds?  The term itself is redolent of World War II and Liberty Bond drives.
The second problem is the credit card issue. Millions of people do not have credit cards.  I have never bought anything over the internet because I don’t have a credit card.  How am I supposed to purchase my savings bonds next Christmas? 
You would think that the Bureau of Public Debt would be looking for ways to increase savings bonds purchases.  Evidently not. 
Tomorrow:  My adventures at the midnight showing of that new vampire/werewolf movie “Breaking Wind, Part I.”  I think that was the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment