Monday, November 14, 2011

Feeling stupid

If citizens were ranked by their political knowledge, I’d be in the top 1%.  That isn’t bragging; it is a simple fact.  I read three newspapers every day.  I have a Ph.D. in political science.  I know a lot of stuff.  
Nevertheless, when I voted last Tuesday, I didn’t know a single fact about any of the five school board candidates on my ballot.  I didn’t even have the cue of party, since the candidates had cross-filed.  These are people who make policy that will affect our children and grandchildren.  They determine our school property tax.  They are important, and I knew nothing about them.  I can’t remember any analysis or candidate profiles in the Times News
I felt very stupid, and I ended up not voting for any school board candidate.  I must do better next time, but I’m not sure where I can even get information.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Honestly I feel the same way. I too did not vote for any since I know nothing about any of them.
    In this day and age of Technical know how the least they could do it put there Bio or resume on a web site for readers to read and study. They could also post there agenda and what position they will be taking. Agenda's and actions just do not happen month to month.
    Yes, they may get struck by new mandates that must be responded to. Other than that business goes on as usual.
    No reason why this should not be published in the newspaper. I seen this on the candidates in the morning call for the LV area.
    An informed public could react better.
    Something else that I would like to see is that it would nice if the boards agenda could be published which would enable the public to know what's happening or going or happen at meetings. This way the public can be in attendance.

    George White
    Towamensing Township

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a similar situation here. While I am not a fan of Facebook my wife is. She did a search of the names and found that some of the candidates had info on their pages. One had Glen Beck listed as a favorite. Needless to say, he did not get our votes. He lost!

    One would think that the schools would have debates or forums for the voters to at least hear some of the candidates viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete