Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cycling Through Africa

In 2008 we hosted a number of Obama volunteers from New York and Connecticut who came down to Pennsylvania to help out in the campaign.  One of them, a woman from Connecticut, said she planned to bike from our house on Pohopoco to our headquarters in Lehighton.  I said, “I don’t think you understand.  Lehighton is 10 miles away.”
That is when I learned that for Heather, ten miles was a piece of cake.  She led biking tours that covered thousands of miles.  I did worry about her biking on 209, but sometimes she took the back way through Weissport.  When she came home after a hard day at the Obama Headquarters, she went to her room to work on a book she was writing.
She stopped by today on her way home from a lobbying trip to Washington and brought a copy of the book.  It details a biking trip through southern Africa and is entitled “I Never Intended to Be Brave:  A Woman’s Bicycle Journey Through Southern Africa” by Heather Andersen.  The book is published by Windy City Publishers in Chicago.  You can read the first chapter on her website <www.bicyclingheather.com>.  You can also buy the book through your local bookstore or at Amazon.
I just received the book today, but after reading the first chapter, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment