Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Voter Registration at Rita's

On the first day of spring Rita’s Italian Ices gives away free samples.  People will drive for miles and spend 45 minutes in a line to get a free Italian ice.  We thought this would present a great opportunity to register voters--they are happy people with plenty of time to fill out registration forms while they wait for the line to wend its way up to the windows.
We had good results.  We registered everyone who wanted to sign up, including Republicans and Independents, and we netted 11 Democrats.  My sign said “Register to vote: Be somebody.”  People were pleasant, as you might expect in an ice cream line.
I’ve done this kind of thing before, so I wasn’t all that surprised, but I was still depressed by the number of people who were not registered and refused to register.  I didn’t want to cause a scene, and the rule is never argue, but sometimes I just want to shake them and say, “Look, idiot, don’t you understand that this country will always be run on behalf of the rich if people like you don’t vote?”  I want to scream, “People die for the right to vote.”  I want to insult them:  “If you are that stupid, maybe it is best you don’t vote.”  
I never do any of that.  I smile and say, “I hope someday you’ll change your mind.  Enjoy your ice cream.”  I must focus on the positive--11 more Dems.

1 comment:

  1. Roy, I must commend you! It is great that you take the time to do this. We need more people to get actively involved in the political process. Even if it is only helping out a little bit. A few dollars or some of your time is always appreciated. If not, people will get the government they deserve. People are dieing in Syria for the right to vote!

    This is the first time that I have ever actively worked on a campaign and I must say it is very gratifying to have done so and I will continue to do so. Our candidate for the 8th congressional district in Illinois won last night. Tammy Duckworth will get to take on Joe Walsh in the fall. We have tremendous grass root support with many many volunteers. She must win so this country can be rid of Joe Walsh and his ilk.

    ReplyDelete