Monday, March 5, 2012

Prayer

Long time readers of this blog know I’m an atheist who occasionally attends church services.  I like the hymns, and it is part of my heritage.  On Sunday I stopped in at the Lutheran Church service in Trachsville.  That’s the church where my grandmother sang on the choir, and my mother taught Sunday School, and where I was baptized and will be buried.
Part of the service is “Prayers for Intercession.”  These prayers are sent out by the national Lutheran organization.  On Sunday, this was a portion of the prayer:
Let us pray for this planet we call home; for the oceans we have polluted with oil; for the land we have piled with garbage; and for the species we have endangered.
Let us pray for the multitude of nations; for Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and others of different faiths than our own; and for those without a community of faith.  
Let us pray for couples longing for children, for families that are separated; for children in foster care; for people with disabilities; and for all in need of healing.
My personal feeling is that nobody hears these prayers, but I like that congregations are praying them.  Perhaps the prayers will influence the people who are saying the prayers.  That’s worth something.

1 comment:

  1. Four years ago I was on death's door step. I prayed a little more than usual. I seem to recall that feeling that I was about to past into another world. I was not permitted to enter as I had much more to do in this world.
    I do believe in the power of prayer.
    It works, someone heard them, and I thank him all the time.

    ReplyDelete