Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Carbon County Democratic Party Executive Board


In The Logic of Collective Action, Mancur Olson said people joined groups for material, solidary, or purposive reasons.  You might join a labor union because it provides you with higher wages or better benefits.  Those would be material reasons.  You might join a bowling league because your friends are bowling, and you want to be with them.  That would be for “solidary” reasons, basically another word for “friendship.” 
By “purposive” Olson meant what I would call “ideological” reasons.  You might join the Democratic Party, for example, because you like its stand on women’s rights and its support for increased taxation for the top 1%.
Olson believed that over time solidary reasons might not be sufficient, which is why almost every group provides its members with some material benefits.  For example, I belong to the Sierra Club because I am an environmentalist, but I get discounts on hiking boots, offers for eco-vacations, and a subscription to a slick and informative magazine.  
Olson also noted that people might join a group for its ideology, but remain in the group because of friendships formed with other members.  
I thought about Olson’s theories tonight at the Carbon County Democratic Executive Board.  I am in the Democratic Party for many reasons.  I believe the Republican Party’s stands on the economy, on immigrants, on gays, on the environment, on women, on the unemployed, on labor unions, on global warming, on voting rights--all are abysmal.  (I could add to the list, but you get the idea.)  I have been a member of the County Democratic  Party Executive Board for the past five months.  
I often disagree with my fellow board members, argue with them, and even get angry with them, but as I was sitting there tonight I realized--these people are my friends.  I like them.  I would lend them money.  I would have a beer with them.  
I have no idea if the Republican Party Executive Board is similar to ours.  From what I know of Republicans, I doubt it

1 comment:

  1. The Carbon County Democratic Executive Board is a group on the RISE! In that group, you have people who are working hard to make Carbon County a better place.

    ReplyDelete