Monday, May 14, 2012

Rupert Murdoch and Fox


In Britain an official parliamentary report said that Rupert Murdoch was unfit to run a major corporation.  Hundreds of British citizens had their phones hacked by Murdoch’s employees.  Over a dozen law enforcement officers were bribed.  Murdoch employees have been arrested for their illegal activities.
None of this seems to affect Fox “News” in the U.S.  If you ask the average person who Rupert Murdoch is, he or she will have no idea.
In fact, I believe most viewers of Fox think they are getting straight news.  They assume that “fair and balanced” is just that, and they don’t understand that they are watching a constant stream of right-wing propaganda.  
Just down from the soon-to-be-opened Democratic Headquarters in Lehighton is a very good pizza restaurant.  The television is turned to Fox News.  I don’t think the owners are necessarily trying to influence their customers, but there it is--slanted features, biased reporting, outright lies, 24 hours a day.  I don’t know what to do.  Do I tell them I won’t eat there until they turn on CNN?  Do I try to explain what is wrong with Fox?  Do I say nothing and simply not go in?  
I’d appreciate some advice on this.

2 comments:

  1. I think I would go into the pizza shop and ask the owner why fox news is the chosen station. There has to be something neutral on TV.

    If he says he likes fox news, I would explain to him that a wise business person keeps his politics and religion to himself. When a business shows bias they are alienating a lot of potential customers. Tell him that you would love to eat his pizza but that you will instead pack your own lunch. It is much healthier, my cardiologist isn't a proponent of pizza. So I eat very little pizza.

    ReplyDelete