Thursday, May 24, 2012

True the Vote


True the Vote is a part of the voter suppression movement in the U.S.  It is attempting to place poll watchers at voting locations in an effort to intimidate voters.  It supports voter ID laws pushed by ALEC and other right-wing groups, and by election day it hopes to have a million poll watchers around the country.
It urges its volunteers to establish good relations with election officials, the better to purge voters the organization targets as bogus.  Its main purpose, from what I’ve read about the group, is to keep Democrats from voting.  The group’s website is very slick, featuring an interracial group of people.  Like many right-wing groups, the ultimate agenda is never mentioned.
I signed up as a volunteer.  Think of me as a mole.  Supposedly I will get an email from the group telling me what steps I should take.  I’ll let you know what they send me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment