Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gene Stilp, Congressional Candidate


Bill Vinsko, Democratic candidate for U.S. Congress, visited Carbon County a number of times.  I met Mr. Vinsko and found him to be intelligent, progressive, and handsome enough to play a politician in a movie.  About two weeks before the election I found out he had opposition from a guy named Gene Stilp, a candidate who drove around in a bus with a pig on the front.
I assumed,without knowing anything about Stilp, that Vinsko would win with about 75% of the vote.  Imagine my surprise on election night, when Stilp overwhelmed Vinsko almost two to one.
Since the election I’ve learned more about this man I had written off.  Our county party chair forwarded me a detailed article on the campaign, and I’ve looked at a number of relevant websites. 
Bottom line:  Stilp has been a political reformer who, on a shoestring budget, easily won the Democratic nomination to defeat Lou Barletta.  Once again I am humbled by how little I know.
I do have advice for Barletta.  Don’t worry about Stilp.  He has no money.  You can win easily.  You don’t even need to campaign.

1 comment:

  1. Bill Vinsko is a very smart man, hard worker and a person who can make a difference. Vinsko is not done with politics. I have a feeling he will be on a ballot again somewhere.

    ReplyDelete