Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Getting out in time


“California To Give Web Courses A Big Trial” was an above-the-fold headline in today’s Business section of the New York Times.  The article discussed a company called “Udacity” [sic], a Silicon Valley firm that produces online college courses, partnering with San Jose State to provide introductory and remedial classes.  

Certainly a large number of students need remedial help.  According to the article, more than 50% of entering students can’t pass the placement tests in English and math.  The deal with Udacity will start with only 300 students, and they will be provided with some professor contact along with staff mentors supplied by the company.  

My old union, the California Faculty Association, is dubious.  Who will control the courses and their content?  How much contact will professors have with their students?  Will the SJSU online courses do better than the open online courses now being offered, which have a dropout rate of about 90%?  

Personally, I can’t imagine teaching an online course. I would need to see my students.  Teaching is interactive.  You can tell if a student doesn’t understand, is losing interest, needs more help. Students learn from each other.  The professor learns from the students.  I know, I know--I sound like one of those dinosaurs who can’t adapt.  Nonetheless, I’m glad that I retired before Udacity (even the name offends me) came along.

No comments:

Post a Comment