Monday, January 28, 2013

Shopping at Wal-Mart


In spite of my ranting and raving, a number of my friends still shop at the big box stores.  

I will now quote #54 of 100 Things I’m Not Going To Do Now That I’m Over 50, a book written by Wendy Reid Crisp and published in 1995.

#54:  I’m not going to...buy anything in a chain store that can be purchased from a locally owned business.

While driving through Indiana one summer, I was listening to the radio when a woman on a talk show said, “My kids are always telling me to shop at the discount stores at the mall.  They say, “You’ll get a real bargain there, Mom.”  And I say, “Those people downtown know who I am and who your father was and I’ve helped them out and they’ve helped me out for over forty years.  I know who I can depend on and who this town can depend on.  That’s a real bargain.”

I’d go even further.  If the only place you can get it is at a big box store, you don’t need it. 

1 comment: