Monday, January 7, 2013

Whom to root for


When I was a grad student at Penn State in the Sixties, the chair of the Political Science Department was Dr. Bernard Hennessy.  I learned a great deal from Dr. Hennessy, including a phase which I once quoted in a previous posting--”sometimes it it necessary to rise above principle.”  

When I was a prof at San Jose State, Hennessy was the Chair at Hayward State, and we became very good friends.  He shared his philosophy of rooting for football teams when both teams were out-of-state.  He rooted for the secular team over the religious school, North over South, East over West, industrial city over sunbelt city, public over private.  It was a good system and made the choice generally easy.

Applying Bernie’s rules, I must say:  “Roll Tide.”  That should also make all of my relatives in Tuscaloosa happy, and that’s important, because those people are nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment