Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pig Gestation Crate Phase-out


Sometimes it seems as though all my posts on this blog are either angry or pessimistic.  I’ve decided to post something positive at least once a week.  So here is this week’s positive development.  According to an article in the January 12 Lancaster Farming, Smithfield Foods Inc., largest U.S. pork producer, said by 2017 it will have phased out the practice of keeping pregnant sows in “gestation crates.”  Those are small metal crates that don’t permit sows to move around. You don’t have to be a member of PETA to see the cruelty involved.  

The company operates about 460 hog farms in the U.S.  It also has international subsidiaries; those will phase out gestation crates by 2022.  That’s nine years away, but at least the end is in sight.

By the way, I buy my pork chops from a local butcher about two miles down the road.  I don’t think she even knows what a gestation crate is.

Preview:  Tomorrow I’m writing about the dumbest things said about controlling weaponry in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment