Thursday, August 29, 2013

Funderburk


“Nullification” is one of those terms that you sort of remember from American history, but it reeks of a musty past, and you probably aren’t sure exactly what it means.  Let me refresh your memory.  It was a doctrine advanced by John Calhoun of South Carolina, and it said that a state could “nullify” federal laws.  Andrew Jackson was President, and he said that idea was not only bogus (not his word), but that he would send federal troops into South Carolina to enforce federal law.

The Civil War put the nails into the coffin of nullification.  After hundreds of thousands of Americans died, the doctrine of nullification died with them.

Recently a state legislator in Missouri introduced a bill to nullify federal laws relating to firearms.  The bill actually passed both houses of the legislature (Republicans have a majority), but was vetoed by the Democratic Governor.  Now the legislature is contemplating an override.

The bill’s sponsor is Rep. Doug Funderburk.  I wrote Mr. Funderburk today.  Here’s my letter:

Rep. Doug Funderburk
Missouri House of Representatives
201 W. Capitol Ave., Room 316
Jefferson City, MO 65101

Dear Rep. Funderburk:

Recently I had an argument with a colleague as to which state had the most ridiculous legislators.  He said Pennsylvania, but I told him I was fairly sure it was Missouri.

Please send me a copy of your bill to “nullify” federal laws on weaponry.  

Sincerely,
Roy Christman

I have way too much fun.

1 comment:

  1. I worked in Misery (intentional spelling) for thirteen years. Suffice it to say, they have there share of loonies. Some of the people are OK but ...........

    I seriosly doubt if you will ever here from Funderburk.

    ReplyDelete