Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Union thug


Allentown Morning Call columnist Paul Carpenter, a consistent foe of unions, ran a strange column this past Sunday.  He said under Pennsylvania law unions were exempt from policies against weapons of mass destruction.  I sent him a reply, but I don’t expect him to answer.  I’ve written to Mr. Carpenter at least four times in the past and have never received a response.  Here’s my response: 

Dear Mr. Carpenter, 

Your column on Sunday, Aug. 25, decrying the fact that “labor union activists cannot be prosecuted for threatening to deploy weapons of mass destruction” was slightly over the top.  I’m the secretary to the Carbon County AFL-CIO labor chapter, and my experience is that unions are the ones being threatened.  

When we tried to pass out information on wages at the Wal-Mart in East Stroudsburg we were threatened with arrest if we didn’t move.  Three weeks ago a friend of mine lost  his job for advocating a union at a youth camp at Hickory Run State Park.  The largest industrial employer in Carbon County has a reputation for firing anyone who even discusses a union.  

When approximately 8% of the private workforce is union, when wages are stagnant or falling, and when corporate spending on campaigns is unlimited, unions are not the problem.

By the way, I sometimes wear a T-shirt that says “Union Thug.”  If you see me, don’t get scared.  It’s supposed to be ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment