Friday, November 1, 2013

Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren

Linda and I lived in downtown San Jose for 13 years.  For most of that time we were represented by Congressman Don Edwards, sometimes known as the "Congressman from the First Amendment."  His aide was Zoe Lofgren, who has represented the district for all the years since Mr. Edwards retired.  Here's a copy of a letter I recently sent to Ms. Lofgren.

Dear Representative Lofgren:

Quite a few years ago I was the Chair of the Santa Clara County Democratic Party, and for many years I taught Political Science at San Jose State.  In 2002 I retired, and  Linda and I moved back to the family farm in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, where we have been heavily involved in Democratic Party politics and both Obama campaigns.

The reason I’m writing to tell you is to tell you how pleased I am that you have been in the forefront in trying to reign in the National Security Agency.  I find the actions of that agency almost beyond belief--spying on American citizens as well as people like Chancellor Merkel, one of our closest allies.  Every request for data collection seems to be approved, and it turns out the President didn’t even know about some of the agency’s activities.  

I think Mr. Snowden deserves a medal for bringing this vast spying network to our attention, and I think the N.S.A. needs to be brought under control.  This is not the America I want.

Keep up the good fight.  I am proud to have supported you in the past, and I applaud your efforts to protect our liberties.


No comments:

Post a Comment