Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Harry Truman, role model


In 1948 when Truman ran against Dewey, ballots were all paper and took a long time to count.  That year the racist Strom Thurmond ran on the Dixiecrat Party line, Henry Wallace ran as a Progressive because Truman wasn’t liberal enough, and Dewey, a former New York governor noted for his battles against corruption, was the Republican nominee.

It looked bad for Truman, and near midnight there was no clear indication of a winner.  In fact, one Chicago newspaper headlined its morning edition “Dewey Wins.”  I’m reasonably sure that every reader of this post remembers the picture of a laughing Truman holding up the newspaper.

In any case, sometime during the evening of election day, Truman announced that he was going to bed--he’d find out who won in the morning.

I spent the entire day working at polling places in Lehighton handing out literature and talking up the candidacy of Helen Torok, who was running for borough council.  She is a great candidate, and I have my fingers crossed, but it is 10:00 p.m., the results aren’t in, and I’m exhausted from standing outside in the cold all day.

I’m announcing that I’m going to bed.  I hope our results are as good for us as Truman’s were for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment