Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Quest for the New York Times


Every day I drive four miles to the Kresgeville Deli for my New York Times.  Last Sunday  the Deli didn’t get its normal delivery.  There’s some problem with the distributor.  That meant a 14-mile trip to Jim Thorpe, where Dugan’s on Broadway had a copy.  On Monday I was able to buy one at the Sunoco station on Delaware in Palmerton.  On Tuesday it was back to Dugan’s.  Today no one--Deli, Dugan’s or Sunoco--had a copy.

At this point most readers will be shouting, “You can get it on line.”  And I did.  It’s not the same.

First of all, the on-line edition does not have all the news the paper has.  Secondly, you have to hunt for stuff.  You have to click on the article.  You can’t just turn the page and scan headlines.  Third, there’s all kinds of distracting crap along the margins.  Finally, Linda and I like to work the crossword puzzle during lunch.  That won’t work on the screen.

If my various outlets don’t have copies by Friday, I’m driving to Manhattan and raising some hell.

Note:  Under the terms of the Bloggers’ contract, I get Thanksgiving off.  I’ll be back Friday.  In the meantime, have a nice Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment