Monday, June 15, 2015

Computer SNAFU

I failed to post last night.  This was not because I didn’t have anything to say.  You may have noticed that I almost always have something to say.  Unfortunately, we had a thundershower, and I couldn’t connect.

After two hours on the phone with a tech in India, Linda fixed the connection, sort of.  It worked intermittently; today a tech support guy came from PTD and found water damage on our cable connection about 20 feet off the ground on a utility pole.

Here’s a history lesson.  SNAFU is a World War II term.  It was short, sort of an early text-speak, for “Situation Normal, All F--ked Up.”  There were a whole bunch of those acronyms, but the only other one I remember is FUBAR, which is F--ked Up Beyond All Repair.”

So here we have this amazing high tech system, and a thundershower knocks it out for days.  I am tired of technology.  Actually, I’m tired of a whole range of things--energy companies that have a right to put pipelines through my farm, a Supreme Court dominated by five conservative white Catholic men, a gerrymandered state legislature that pretends to represent the people of Pennsylvania, a presidential race dominated by people like the Koch Brothers, and a citizenry, that if you took away its right to vote, probably wouldn’t even notice.


Yeah, I’m in a bad mood on this 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, which maybe one in a hundred people even know about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment