Monday, June 29, 2015

Confederate flags

Here’s what John Oliver said about the Confederate flag:  “The Confederate flag is one of those symbols that should really only be seen on T-shirts, belt buckles and bumper stickers to help the rest of us identify the worst people in the world.”

I’ve thought that for years.  When I see a pickup with a confederate flag decal in front of me, my reaction is “leave plenty of room, racist idiot driver ahead.”


On the other hand, when I read that the Gettysburg National Park will stop selling Confederate flags in the gift store, I think that is a mistake.  We did have a Civil War.  It was the bloodiest war in U.S. history.  We ought to be able to acknowledge that the losing side had its flag, just like we ought to acknowledge that the losing side in the American Revolution flew the Union Jack.  I assume that the Brandywine Battlefield visitor center sells both the early version of the American flag along with the Union Jack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment