Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A right to be scared

Last night at a meeting of the Executive Board of the Palmerton Area Historical Society, I was handed a picture of the White House with a big Trump sign on top in shiny gold letters.  I think everyone on the board knows my politics, and they assured me it was all in good fun.

I said I was sure it was, but nonetheless I was very frightened.  I said some of my former students and my friends could be deported, and many of the remarks Trump made during the campaign scared me.  A couple of the members scoffed.  “It was just campaign rhetoric,” and “It won’t be that bad.”

Let me quote three front page headlines in the Times today.

“Trump’s Threat to Close Door Reopens Old Wounds in Cuba”
“Fierce Crtitic of Health Care Law Said to Be Pick for Health Dept.”
“Plan to Revive Waterboarding Faces Obstacles:  A Trump Campaign Vow”


Yeah, I’m scared.  I have a right to be scared, as any reasonable person should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment