Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Pat Toomey, scaredy cat

Linda and I drove down to South Cedar Crest Boulevard in Allentown today to participate in a noon-time demonstration outside the office of Senator Pat Toomey, the senator who is too frightened to hold a town hall.

Toomey said today in the Morning Call that what was important was that he communicates with his constituents.  Linda sent a letter to the editor saying no, what was important was that he listen to his constituents.

The demonstration was impressive.  About 75 people lined Cedar Crest Boulevard with all kinds of signs and posters.  One woman came with a huge Trump head.  She was wearing a prison uniform.  LOCK HIM UP! 


Unlike demonstrations on the right, participants were friendly, talked to each other, shared stories, and took pictures.  I’m not the most sociable person, but even I had a good time.  Unfortunately, Toomey never showed.  I guess he is in Washington taking health care away from poor people.

4 comments:

  1. Today when I tried to call Toomey's DC office, there was no answer. I did, however, get a real person at the Lehigh Valley office and so did my daughter, Carrie. Leanne didn't get an answer at the LV office, but left a message.

    Our calls were concerning health insurance (I refuse to call it health care. Health care and health insurance are two different things, although one does affect the other). Anyway, I was polite and asked that the staff person ask the Senator to vote no on taking away my health insurance. I wanted to make it personal. They need to hear how their votes affect the lives of their constituents.

    The girls asked the Senator to vote no on taking away their 62-year old mother's health insurance. I'm in that group, 60+ who will get hit the hardest because of my age and not yet qualifying for Medicare.

    My son, who is also under the ACA will lose his insurance as well if this bill goes through. He's healthy but is an outdoorsman who skis and can be pretty adventurous. What if he has an accident?

    This whole day has been very very frightening to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't understand why Republicans in Congress are so hot to get rid of a program that works. I think small changes could be made to make it better, but why the rush to gut the whole program? Is it because it is called "Obamacare"? This whole thing makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things: they see anything with the word Obama in it as inherently evil. And they hated that the rich were taxed to pay for some of it. That has been reversed as well as the individual mandate, so guess what? Costs are going to increase and benefits decrease.

    I'm not calling it Trumpcare. I'm calling it Republicare. Because when the shit hits the fan, I think they should all be held accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P. S. Pardon my French, but this REALLY steams me.

    ReplyDelete