Friday, March 10, 2017

Stand your ground

The new Kong movie is out, and I’m thinking about going tomorrow.  I guess I better be careful.  In Florida a retired policeman is on trial for shooting a man to death in a movie theater over the use of a cell phone during the previews.  

According to today’s editorial in the New York Times, “Witnesses saw popcorn thrown at the shooter during the dispute, then heard a gunshot.  In a pretrial hearing, the defendant insisted the victim had been ‘ready to attack.’  The shooter said, ‘I would have to take decisive action if I wanted to survive this thing.’ A ruling is pending.”

I mean, popcorn could be lethal, especially if it’s buttered, although usually because it clogs your arteries.  Perhaps that’s what the shooter was afraid of.


By the way, in 68 percent of the “stand your ground” cases since Florida passed its legislation, the victims were unarmed.

1 comment: